The Ironworkers Local 725, in conjunction with Career Transitions is pleased to offer a full-time, 10-week introduction to the Ironworking trade. Local 725 has a proven track record in providing training to high school students and a sincere interest in preparing the youth from our region for a future career in this exciting trade. As a demonstration of that interest, the Introduction to Ironworking program is being offered to the successful applicants free of charge. The training program will focus on the integration of the ironworking trade in wind turbine construction. Be a part of this innovative program and earn high school credits while learning from qualified industry professionals!
Check out our video from last year's program!
Participation in this training program will be based on a competitive entry process. As a regional initiative coordinated through Career Transitions, students that attend schools which are associated with partner school divisions are eligible to apply. These divisions/schools include:
- Calvin Christian School
- Coaldale Christian School
- Holy Spirit Roman Catholic Separate Regional Division
- Horizon School Division
- Kainai Board of Education
- Lethbridge School District #51
- Livingstone Range School Division
- Palliser Regional Schools
- Peigan Board of Education
- Westwind School Division
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current Grade 11 or 12 student with acceptable academic and attendance records
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, motivation, and commitment to a 10-week program
- Physically fit with the capacity to lift, carry, and climb
- Provide own transportation to and from the training site (located near Lethbridge).
Curriculum will include some theory and classroom activity but will primarily involve hands-on learning. The following list is a sample of the general topic areas that will be covered:
- Safety Training including formal certifications
- Trades Math and Tape Measure skills
- Rough Terrain Forklift
- High Angle Rescue
- Introduction to Wind Turbines
- Job Search Support
A comprehensive course outline will be provided to successful applicants.
Training Program Dates:
April 23 to June 29, 2018
9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday
Step 1:Mandatory Information Session
Wednesday, November 22, 2017
3:30 pm – 5:00 pm OR 7:00pm – 8:30 pm
Lethbridge School District #51 Board Room
433 – 15th Street South, Lethbridge
- Due to the intensive nature of this unique training opportunity, all applicants are required to attend this session. It is important that applicants fully understand the scope of the program and the expectations involved. Please feel free to invite a parent, guardian or support person to join you.
- The session will include a review of the curriculum, eligibility criteria, and expectations of participants during and after training, along with the opportunity to ask questions.
Step 2: Submit complete application package
Please note that the application package includes 4 documents:
- Completed application form
- Completed Teacher Recommendation form
- Most recent copy of transcript
Your application package can be submitted via email to email@example.com. If you wish to deliver your package personally, call the Career Transitions office at 403.328.3996 to make arrangements.
Step 3: Brief Interview
- All applicants will be contacted by Wednesday, December 6, 2017
- Interviews for short-listed applicants will be scheduled for December 11th and 12th, 2017
- Successful applicants will be advised on December 15, 2017
Please note that this training program will be limited to 16 seats.