Employment FAQs

How do I apply for a job with the District?

Please visit our current employment postings on our Employment page. Applicants may submit their cover letter, resume, application form (see links in left hand menu of this page), and any other relevant supporting documentation to Human Resources electronically prior to the posting closing date and time. Each advertised posting will indicate the appropriate email address to which applications can be sent.

Please note that applicant documentation will not be kept beyond six months. Any original documentation submitted will not be returned.

Applicants must include the competition number in their cover letter.

  • Although general applications will be kept on file, should a specific posting be advertised, you will need to send in a new application quoting the competition number in order to be considered.


Are your application forms online?

Yes. Links to Teaching, Support Staff, and Caretaking/Maintenance application forms can be found in the left hand menu of this page.


When should I apply?

If you are applying to a posted competition with a closing date, your application must be received prior to the quoted closing date and time.

For general or substitute applications, completed packages may be forwarded at any time throughout the year.


My application package requires three references from “professional supervisors.” From whom should I request my letters of reference?

References from supervisors who have seen you actively teaching or working are preferred.


How will I know the status of my application? Will I be notified if I am not selected for an interview?

We thank all applicants for their interest in our District. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.


How long do you keep resumes on file?

Resumes are kept on file for six months, after which you are welcome to reapply.

Please note that applicant documentation will not be kept beyond six months. Any original documentation submitted will not be returned.


Do internal applicants take preference over external applicants?

Our internal applicants are considered first for any support staff unionized positions, as per our CUPE Collective Agreements.


Do I need to submit anything extra with my application package if I am applying from out of province?

In order to be considered for teaching positions, out of province applicants must have successfully applied for a valid Alberta teaching certificate.


Do I need a high school diploma for employment with the District?

Yes. The District’s minimum education requirement is a High School Diploma or equivalency.
Please refer to the posting for specific educational requirements.


Will applicants have to go through skill testing?

When applying for Support Staff, Caretaking, or Maintenance positions, relevant testing may be required.


How many schools does Lethbridge School District No. 51 have?

Lethbridge School District No. 51 has a total of 21 schools. (13 elementary, 3 middle, 5 high.) For more information on our schools and the programs offered please visit our school web pages.


What does Lethbridge School District No. 51 offer to staff?

Lethbridge School District No. 51 strives to provide a dynamic and rewarding work environment for all its staff. Employees will join a fun and caring community focused on the well-being of over 10,000 students.

We offer a comprehensive benefits package for staff. We also believe in supporting professional learning opportunities on a continuing basis, as well as district-wide professional learning days.