Making Connections is a school based family support program available in all Lethbridge School District #51 elementary schools. The purpose of the Making Connections program is to ensure that all children, youth and families have equal opportunities for healthy development leading to physical, social and emotional well-being.
Who Can Use Our Services
Making Connections welcomes students, parents, foster parents, siblings and extended family members affiliated with all Lethbridge School District #51 schools. Services are for the most part offered free of charge.
Making Connections Workers are available in all twelve of Lethbridge School District #51 elementary schools as well as Wilson Middle School.
Program Services Model
Our program model (see below) reflects a continuum of service from universal programming, targeted services, and intensive supports to external referrals as required. At all levels of the continuum the focus is on the promotion of the skills and knowledge required for children and families to build on their strengths, address challenges, cope with adversity and increase their capacity to care for themselves and others. This assistance is provided within a school setting, where children spend most of their time and families often seek support.
Programming may include but is not limited to:
- School based initiatives: celebrating assets, shaping character development and leadership qualities.
- Triple P Parenting: offering information and support for parents who want to strengthen their knowledge, skills and confidence in parenting
- Kids and Drugs: in collaboration with Alberta Health Services we provide parents with a guide to relationship building and substance abuse prevention.
- Fun Friends: A classroom play-based program for building resilience in students.
- Kelso’s Choices: Conflict resolution strategies for children, youth and families.
- Referrals to Kidsport andJumpstart organizations which provide grant funding to families for participation in recreation activities.
- Referral to Recreation Excellence pool subsidies.
- Ready, Set, Go: this program is designed to ensure that all students are both emotionally and physically prepared to start the new school year. Components include school supplies, haircuts, registration in extra curricular activities.
- Economic intervention programs
- Special interest parent support groups
- Therapeutic children's groups
- Leisure activities for children youth and families
- In-service and Professional Development for school staff and community partners
Connection to community resources
Strength based assessment and goal setting assistance
Providing one to one support for children, youth and families when needed
In home supports
Assisting children, youth and families to access appropriate resources when a crisis occurs
We believe that collaboration is the foundation for setting common priorities, and incorporating differing perspectives. This is reflected in the way that the members of the Making Connections Team are committed to working with school staff, community partners and family members to achieve shared goals.
The Making Connections Program is funded by external partnerships including: