The following expectations were established through a collaborative process in the spring of 2005. The steps included: 1) data gathering where every parent, staff member and student had an opportunity for input; 2) an open forum where parents, staff and students gathered to sort and prioritize the data collected; 3) a series of meetings where each stakeholder group had opportunity to review the results of a forum and provide editing input; 4) a review of the edited copy by each stakeholder group; 5) consensus These expectations provide the foundation to decisions and protocols reinforced and established at the school.
As a student at Sturgeon Heights School I will . . .
- Develop and demonstrate decision-making skills, leadership, communication and problem-solving skills
- Show responsibility for my own learning by being organized, prepared for class, and by utilizing resources to my best ability
- Be respectful and considerate of self, property, others and authority
- Demonstrate dignity and respect for myself and others by dressing and behaving according to expectations of the school
- Demonstrate characteristics of honesty, empathy, self control, patience and kindness
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior on school buses, playgrounds, field trips and outings as well as in school
- Demonstrate school spirit and pride by supporting school activities, by keeping our environment neat and clean and by speaking positively about our school.
As a teacher / staff member at Sturgeon Heights School I will . . .
- Help students understand and develop skills they will use throughout their life
- Encourage and build student confidence as I assist them in reaching their potential
- Display enthusiasm in order to make school an enjoyable and positive experience for all students
- Be cognizant of the homework load and responsibilities of students when assigning meaningful homework
- Recognize different learning styles and adjust instruction accordingly
- Treat all members of the school community with respect, fairness and dignity
- Provide and maintain an atmosphere where students feel safe, cared for and valued
- Assist parents to help their children
- Openly communicate in a positive manner the successes, concerns, and issues throughout the year by using the “healthy interactions” process
- Speak highly of our school.
As a parent of a student at Sturgeon Heights School I will . . .
- Be involved with and participate in my child’s development and school experience – both academic and nonacademic
- Be a good role model by showing respect and teaching morals and values at home
- Monitor homework; help and encourage my child
- Support school rules by being aware of them and by understanding their impact on learning
- Support teachers by ensuring student attendance, homework completion and readiness to learn and by encouraging my child to reach his/her full potential
- Openly, honestly and positively communicate with students, staff and other parents by using the “healthy interactions” process for problem solving
- Communicate with the school on matters that impact on student learning
- Positively promote the school within the community.